Remodeling your home is a big deal, and you want to make the right choices for long-term enjoyment of your space. Whether you’re starting a massive addition project or tackling a small upgrade, a little planning will ensure the end product is exactly what you want. Get started on the right track by addressing these important items:
- Measure correctly: Too often a project is delayed because of inaccurate measurements. You’ve heard the phrase “measure twice, cut once” and this applies to every home project, even if you’re not cutting something. Measure and measure again. Make sure you have the exact measurements from ceiling height, wall-to-wall length, cabinet spacing, window and doorway sizes, etc. before you start your project.
- Assess and reassess your design: The layout of your design can make or break your space. Style and aesthetics should be paired carefully with a functional design. Even if you are DIYing, get professional guidance on the layout and design to make sure your space will be efficient as well as beautiful.
- Consider the appliances: Whether you’re buying new or reinstalling your current appliances, make sure you measure exactly how big they are. Don’t forget to add correct space for wiring or tubing, such as dryer vents or dishwasher hoses.
- Inspect materials as soon as they arrive: Remodeling projects can get even the most patient person frustrated. Avoid reorder delays by checking your materials immediately. If someone else is doing the install, this is even more important because you don’t want to come home to see they’ve installed the wrong or damaged items.
- Put lighting on the top of your list: Lighting is extremely important to the design of your space. Before you get too far, decide if you want under-cabinet lighting, recessed lights, track lighting, or pendants, and budget for these lights upfront. Lighting is often more expensive than one thinks.
- Pay attention to hardware: Hardware is often considered a quick cosmetic finishing touch, but this isn’t the case. There are lots of options to choose from and you want to be sure it complements your style and design as well as provides the function you need. Be sure to count out exactly how many you need so you’re not running back and forth to the store during the installation process.
- Be careful about installing yourself: In general, cabinetry installation should be at least a two-person job. Not only can something go wrong with the placement, but you can also injure yourself in the process. Nothing is worth sacrificing safety. Be sure to get the help you need when installing heavy items.
- Pay special attention to leveling and alignment: Cabinets and countertops that are even the slightest bit unleveled can be a problem. Issues such as visible crooked placement to cracking from uneven pressure are common if special care isn’t taken to ensure everything is leveled.
When it comes to remodeling a major asset, it’s important to do it right. High quality work will always be in fashion. For all your home remodeling and upgrade needs, Swirl Woodcraft is eager to provide exceptional service.